Saturday, July 9, 2016

Friday, July 8: Stirling Castle

I'm finding that I'm spending a lot of time creating blog posts.  As much as I enjoy it, I need to streamline the process so that I can stay up to date.  So I'm going to try to post a smaller amount of text plus a few of my favorite pictures.  Anyone in Kingston is welcome to ask me and I'll be delighted to talk at great length and show you LOTS of pictures :-)

Stirling Castle is one of the places I visited 5 years ago on my Cantabile trip to Scotland, but we didn't have nearly enough time there to see everything.  I've always wanted to go back and when David asked me to describe some of the places I saw he decided Stirling Castle was high on list too.  So it finally happened -- I got to go back with my favorite person and we both thought it was absolutely wonderful.

Like Rosslyn Chapel, I thought Stirling Castle would be complicated to get to, but it was actually easy.  There are many trains each day that go from Edinburgh to Stirling.  I just love British trains!!!

Just a very few words of introduction: Stirling Castle dates back to something like the 12th century and was home to many generations of Scottish kings and queen's.  Like Edinburgh Castle, it was heavily fortified and saw some major battles, but unlike Edinburgh it was also a home and a place to entertain.  Mary Queen of Scotts was christened and crowned here. 

If you want to know more than that, check out http://www.stirlingcastle.gov.uk/ or https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stirling_Castle.





And now for just a few of the many pictures I took.  Please note that I didn't get a good angle for taking a picture of Stirling Castle as a whole.  These are all shot from the castle.  For views of the castle, try one of the above web sites.  The tower in the distance showing in the first picture is the William Wallace memorial tower (also known as "Braveheart", as in the Mel Gibson movie).


















No comments: